How To Prevent Burst Pipes Toronto From Freezing Winter
Why do pipes freeze and burst
We’re in November so winter is approaching. And you know what comes with winter right? Cold, freezing weather. The effect that this weather has on the piping system of our residential or commercial facilities is quite negative if the proper actions are not being taken. In Toronto, winter always brings temperatures below freezing. This causes the water all over the city to freeze and the pressure inside pipes makes them burst. As the temperature keeps cooling down, also the molecules of water keep slowing down and this brings them together making them solid and expanding the volume, and creating pressure. This does not spare the metallic pipes or the plastic pipes, even though the plastic ones are much more elastic and can endure some expansion. When the pipes crack, amounts of water can be released and cause really bad structural damage to your property. But, there are a few other reasons that can lead to burst pipes such as:
- Aged Pipework
- Pressure from External Forces
- Excessive Water Pressure
- Ground Movements
- Incorrect Pipework and Pipe Layering
- Improper Connections
How To Prevent the Pipes from Bursting
- Keep the heat on. While everyone is home during winter the heat is going to be on for sure to have a constant temperature indoors, but if you plan on leaving for a period of time, then I suggest you keep that heat on even if nobody is going to be inside the property, of course not as high as when you’re home. This, you might think, is going to be very expensive, but the cost of fixing the damages after the pipes burst is going to be even more expensive. The heat will prevent the freezing of water inside the burst pipes in the winter.
- Allow the faucets to drip so the pressure does not build up. Also, it would be better if the water dripping can be hot so it makes it harder to freeze.
- Seal any cracks or holes. Before the winter comes, you should inspect the house and identify any cracks or holes that allow cold air to slip inside. If possible, try investing in spray foam insulation and the benefits will not only be in the water damage field.
- Insulate the pipes. We suggest you make sure pipes around your house are insulated with insulating foam or heating tape. These will supply the burst pipes in the winter with the necessary heat that later will prevent freezing.
- Keep the interior doors open. If you will be out of town, we recommend keeping the doors inside the house open so the heat will move through rooms and reach the pipes.
- Drain your water system by shutting the water off. Again if you need to be gone for a period of time consider shutting off the main water line by leaving the pipes empty so no water goes through them and causes freezing and further damage.
What to do if you have burst pipes?
First, try draining as much water as possible from the pipes to release the pressure that has been caused by the low temperatures. This can be done by closing the main water valve or by leaving the faucet drip. Then it is very important to clean and dry the water that flowed from the damaged pipes. By doing this you prevent the extra damage that could have been caused on the floor or walls. After doing these steps you start repairing the broken pipes. Cut the broken section and replace it with a pipe a little larger so that it covers both ends. If it’s a metal pipe you need to weld the ends together, if it’s plastic then use special glue. All this can be done by yourself without any help but it would be better if you choose a professional company to deal with it.
Why Choose CPR24 Restoration for Emergency Restoration Services
CPR24 Restoration is a company specializing in emergency restoration services. We provide clients with fast and effective solutions to minimize and restore any kind of damage.
When you contact our team they will come right away to inspect and determine the water damage from the bursting pipes. They check any affected area and provide you with a full report for your insurance company. The right equipment will be used to extract and dry out the water and fix the broken pipes and replace them with new ones. With many years of experience in water damage restoration and mold removal services, our customers have been always proud of the outcome results. Our team’s commitment will bring again to life your properties. Feel free to contact our support team 24/7 via e-mail at email@example.com or by phone at +1 416-551-8287. We will be more than happy to be your solution provider.