CPR24 Restoration is one of the leading asbestos testing companies in Toronto. We specialize in providing full-scale asbestos testing and removal and have helped thousands of families live happy and asbestos-free.
History of Asbestos
Asbestos is a term used for several types of mineral fibres. It dates back to the Stone Age where it was used for clothing, making pots and candle wicks. It is a durable material and extremely resistant to heat, which makes it perfect for use in construction, home painting, insulation, etc.
The demise of asbestos came from one of its properties: It is a very dangerous carcinogen. The carcinogenic properties of asbestos were discovered ever since the ancient Greeks, where they wrote about how the slaves that mined asbestos would often get sick and die of a “lung disease”.
The rise of Asbestos Testing
Asbestos kept being used in various applications, but its rise to fame in the western world didn’t come until the Industrial Revolution. Due to its great fire resisting properties and durability it was widely used in anything related to construction, with the most harmful being paint. The asbestos industry fought hard for its harmful effects were kept in the shadow and asbestos testing was difficult to reach, and so asbestos products found their way into every household throughout Toronto.
Risk of having Asbestos in your household
Asbestos is one of the most common carcinogenic materials. The risk with asbestos is most apparent when it comes in contact with the lungs. As the asbestos-containing materials are damaged or removed, asbestos particles are released in the air and will cause harm to the respiratory system.
The things where we have found asbestos
We have thought that asbestos it is used just in lagging steam pipes or insulation within boiler rooms, but you have to know a little bit more. The most unexpected space was asbestos is used are:
- Toothpaste – Of course, we know that asbestos is bad for our body and health. But in a period of time was a toothpaste that used asbestos fibres as the abrasive.
- Clothing – Many people think of asbestos as an insulating material used in boiler rooms and lagging steam pipes, but no-one has thought due to its fire resisting qualities.
- Cigarette Filters – In 1950, a cigarette company used asbestos on the cigarette filters. Nowadays it is known that these type of cigarettes has been one of the most carcinogenic types of asbestos.
- Fake Snow – On Christmas decorations, we use some fluffy-white fake snow products. From 1930 to 1950 many companies have been using asbestos on fake snow, but this was so dangerous and cancer-causing.
- Surgical Thread – After the Second World War, asbestos has become very populated. It was used in hospitals and surgeons used asbestos thread to close wounds due to its flexibility and high strength.
- Hairdryers – that was used in ’50 have been with a layer of asbestos. It was to protect clients from being accidentally burned.
The importance of Asbestos testing
As previously mentioned, asbestos was widely used in all areas of construction in Toronto ever since the industrial revolution. So it is possible to find it where you least expect. The most common uses are insulation, popcorn ceiling, floor tiles, and roof shingles, and the list goes on.
Through the use of specialized asbestos testing, you can have our team inspect your household. Take samples of suspected asbestos-containing materials, test it in specialized facilities.
Testing for asbestos is just the first step. After the test is completed, it is important to analyze the areas that might have returned positive, evaluate the risk, and take the needed measures. Luckily CPR24 Restoration is dedicated to providing you with all the steps needed to make your household asbestos-free. We will remove the risky asbestos-contaminated materials for you, and safely clean up and dispose of them.
If you suspect that your home might contain asbestos that can put you and your family to risk, feel free to call us for more information about asbestos testing in Toronto at +1 416-551-8287 or send us an e-mail to [email protected] and our 24/7 customer support representatives will be happy to help.
CPR24 Restoration is a full-service mould remediation company. What it means is that we offer the full scale of solutions needed for complete removal and prevention of mould. From identifying the cause of mould to fixing any design flaws or tubing associated with it to repairing or replacing the affected areas, and the prevention of further mould by removal and sealing to rigorous testing to detect any traces of new mould, we strive to be a leader in the mould solutions industry.
By following our team tips, you easily will remove mould in areas such as bathroom walls and floors, however, if you have a significant mould issue, please call CPR24 Restoration.